Raleigh, N.C. – National Public Radio host Ari Shapiro and state House Speaker Tim Moore (R-Cleveland) discussed the legislature’s plans for a fifth consecutive teacher pay raise in North Carolina on Thursday for an education-focused episode of ‘All Things Considered’ set to air across the country next week.
Shapiro and Moore reviewed the state General Assembly’s recent #1 ranking for teacher wage growth in 2017 and #2 ranking for teacher wage growth in 2018 data from the National Education Association.
Teachers will receive an average $4,412 raise under the current 2017-19 state budget in North Carolina. Starting teacher pay is now $35,000. Average teacher pay is more than $50,000.
“North Carolina is implementing meaningful education investments, today, to build a brighter future for our children, tomorrow,” Moore said on Teacher Appreciation Day 2018.
The ‘All Things Considered’ episode with Ari Shaprio will air Tuesday on National Public Radio.
More Key Facts on Teacher Pay in North Carolina
- A teacher with five years of experience will earn $9,200 more in 2018-19 than the same teacher in 2013-14, from $30,800 to $40,000, a 29.9% increase.
- A teacher with twelve years of experience will earn $15,330 more in 2018-19 than that teacher did in 2013-14, from $31,670 to $47,000, a 48% increase.
- A teacher with sixteen years of experience will earn $11,840 more in 2018-19 than the same teacher did in 2013-14, from $38,160 to $50,000, a 31% increase.
- A teacher with twenty-five years of experience will earn $9,040 more in 2018-19 than they did in 2013-14, from $42,260 to $51,300, a 21.4% increase.
Other bonus programs and compensation incentives for North Carolina teachers:
- Teacher Assistant Tuition Reimbursement
- Initial Teacher Licensing Fee Reimbursement
- Future Teachers of North Carolina
- Supplements for Highly Qualified Graduates
- Advanced Teaching Roles Pilot Program
- Highly Qualified Teacher Salary Supplements
- 3rd Grade Reading Bonuses
- AP/IB/CTE Bonuses
- 4th-8th Reading/Math Bonuses
- Veteran teacher bonuses
- New Teaching Fellows Program