Raleigh, N.C. – On Thursday, June 6, 2019, the North Carolina General Assembly will recognize the 75th anniversary of the Normandy invasion with a major ceremony at the historic Capitol building.
State leaders and foreign diplomats will honor World War II veterans in attendance. Ceremonial military activities will take place during the event, including honoring the 39 North Carolinians who sacrificed their lives on D-Day.
Date: Thursday, June 6, 2019
- 9:30 AM Exhibits and military band begin on Capitol grounds
- 10:00 AM Senate session begins in the historic Capitol building
- 11:00 AM House session begins in the historic Capitol building
- 12:00 PM:
- Leaders and dignitaries begin formal ceremony
- Names read of 39 North Carolinians who died on D-Day
- Wreath laying and rifle salute
- Rifle squad fires salute
- Bugler plays Taps
Location: Historic Capitol building and lawn, Raleigh, North Carolina
Participants: Legislative leaders, foreign diplomats, military personnel, veterans.
Media: Members of the press are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Please provide notice by June 1 if any outlets require parking space for media trucks.